EXECUTIVE DEAN (5 POSITIONS)
The University is looking to recruit individuals for the
position of Executive Dean in the following Schools:
- School of Built Environment
- School of Business and Economic Sciences
- School of Education, Communication and Media Studies
- School of Engineering
- School of Science and Technology
The Executive Dean will lead and direct the School by providing strong and dynamic strategic academic and administrative oversight to enable the School to develop to its full potential. The Executive Dean will create an enabling and conducive environment in the School for research excellence, context-relevant teaching and learning, and professional practice in a synergistic manner to deliver and enhance the student and external stakeholder experience. He/she will promote a culture of professionalism, ethics, and excellence in research, publications, outreach/community engagement and enterprise activities. The Executive Dean will oversee the achievement of the School’s strategic objectives, and ensure that the University’s Strategy as agreed by Council is implemented. This is a demanding, but rewardingposition suited to a highly motivated, solution-focused and astute strategic academician and leader capable of providing solid leadership to the School. Additionally, the candidate is supposed to have a demonstrable ability to contribute to the creation of an entrepreneurialuniversity capable of weaning itself from overdependence on government subvention.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
Duties and responsibilities of the Executive Dean shall include:
- Provide strategic academic and administrative leadership in the School;
- Ensure that the School complies with all regulatory requirements and
- Demonstrate vision and empower others to deliver the agreed strategy of the School;
- Provide overall coordination of all matters relating to the academic welfare of the students within the School;
- Select persons to be admitted as students in the School;
- Conduct reviews and performance appraisals of Heads of Academic Departments within the School;
- Prudently manage budgets and resources of the School;
- Develop and implement the School’s research, publications, and enterprise strategies;
- Oversee the development and delivery of innovative undergraduate and postgraduate programmes within the School;
- Plan and implement activities for effective engagement with professional bodies, the community, industry and the general public;
- Exercise and discharge such duties in connection with academic and administrative matters falling within his/her school;l Liaise with various offices for the effective and efficient implementation of relevant policies.
- Exceptional interpersonal and communication skills and the strength of character to be effective within and beyond the school;
- Ability to foster collaborative working internally and externally;
- Proven ability to develop and implement strategy;
- Strong leadership skills, and ability to inspire and motivate staff;
- Demonstrable ability to manage complex change and engage staff through this process;
- Passionate about delivering an excellent student experience, incentivizing strong research publication, enterprise, and research impact;
- Effective School and University ambassador, with national, regional, and global networks;
- Firm commitment to achieving the University’s vision and implementing its Strategic Plan;
- Strong negotiation, advocacy, and conflictresolution skills.
- Holds himself /herself to high ethical and moral standards
QUALIFICATIONS AND EXPERIENCE
. Minimum of a doctorate degree in a relevant field from an institution accredited or recognized under the National Council of Higher Education Act.
- Five (5) years of experience in a management position in a higher education institution.
- A strong publication record and evidence of esteem in a professional context.
- Commitment to resource mobilization.he Executive Dean shall be appointed for a term of three years. Subject to satisfactory performance, he/she may be eligible for re-appointment for one further term.
TUNURE OF THE OFFICE
The Executive Dean shall be appointed for a term of three years. Subject to satisfactory performance, he/she may be eligible for re-appointment for one further term.
METHOD OF APPLICATIONS
Interested applicants are encouraged to submit their applications together with their visions for the office applied for, Curriculum Vitae, and names and addresses of three traceable referees to the undersigned. Shortlisting of candidates to undergo interviews will be based on the completeness and quality of the package of the documents to be submitted to the following address:
The Malawi University of Business and Applied Sciences
Private Bag 303
Electronic copies of the application should be sent to:
Applications should be in by 24th June 2022.